Did you know that Vie is in Charleston? The entire Low Country, for that matter!
We are celebrating today with a recipe inspired by our travels to this beautiful land of shellfish, hot summers and amazing okra.
Learn how to make homemade mayo by watching our video and then scroll down to view what we’re having for dinner tonight and make it for your family!
Live Video Tutorial: Make Your Own Mayo + How To Peel Shrimp & Make a Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil👌. Find this recipe on getvie.com!
Posted by Vie on Thursday, January 25, 2018
MAIN Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil
Yield 4-6 servings
Do you love a good Low Country Shrimp Boil? Then this amazing new Sheet Pan version is for you! Everything you love about the combo of shrimp, potatoes, corn and Old Bay + some extra roasted green beans thrown in there for good measure.
Enjoy this dinner as is, or add some broth for a delicious soup later on in the week.
4 yellow potatoes, washed and quartered (see Notes for substituting sweet potatoes if you're avoiding nightshades)
2 tsp olive or vegetable oil
4-8 ears fresh yellow corn, hulled (look for this in the packaged produce section when not in season)
1-2 lbs white raw shell-on shrimp, peeled and deveined if desired (but not necessary)
1 lb green beans, trimmed
2-3 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning (check for nightshades)
1 cup mayo (or Make Your Own)
1 chipotle, chopped *optional
1-2 cloves garlic, ground into a paste or minced
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
If Making Your Own Mayo: watch our video here and make sure you have the below ingredients (starred in the shopping list)
3 egg yolks*
1/2 tsp salt*
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard*
2 Tbsp lemon juice*
2+ cups olive oil or vegetable oil*
1 chipotle, chopped*
1-2 cloves garlic, ground into a paste or minced*
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Tip: to get your oven preheated in a hurry, set it to broil first, then decrease to 425 F when ready to cook your "Boil".
- Line a large baking sheet with foil and add quartered potatoes + oil. Toss to coat potatoes.
- Sprinkle with half the Old Bay (or to taste) and place sheet pan in the oven. Set a timer for 20 minutes. Peel & devein shrimp during this time if desired.
- When timer goes off, remove potatoes and add corn, shrimp and green beans. Toss everything with a pair of tongs to coat, and sprinkle on more Old Bay if desired.
- Place back in the oven and cook for 20 minutes more, making sure to check halfway through and give everything a secondary toss to redistribute and encourage even cooking.
- During the last 20 minutes of cooking, make your Mayo. Either combine store-bought mayo with the chopped chipotle, garlic, salt, and lemon juice and set aside OR if making your own, follow this video [here] and make your mayo from scratch, then add the chipotle, garlic and salt.
- When shrimp are opaque and potatoes are soft and roasted, remove pan and place on a potholder in the middle of your dinner table! Allow each eater to make their own plate and don't forget to include a dollop of flavored mayo for dipping.
If you are avoiding nightshades, leave out the potatoes or simply substitute in with sweet potatoes.
If you'd like, also add your favorite type of smoked sausage for added Low Country ooomph!
If you’re not a member of Vie and you happen to live in the Charleston area, subscribe today and take advantage of Meal Plans written for the stores nearest to you. These include: