Ever wondered how Vie shoppers do it?
Take a look at our short video where we’ll teach you how to shop in a streamlined and smart way at the store.
- Once you arrive in the parking lot of your preferred store, take a minute to pull up your Vie shopping list and take a look at the Breakfast, Lunch & Snack options, as well as, the Pantry Staples to double check and make notes to grab what you need. Next, head to our Shopping List by Department and hit the “PRINT” tab to pull up the list in an easy-to-follow format.
- Make sure you’re not hungry and that the kids are ready to go (not overtired, diapers changed, bathroom breaks taken care of, etc.).
- Grab your reusable shopping bags (2-3 large and 1 thermal) and head into the store.
- Place your kids in the cart and hand out snacks, books or activities. Set expectations for the trip (see this awesome Shopping with Kids blog post) and assign your older kids fun tasks like using math to calculate the best deals and testing produce for ripeness. Let them know they can help you at the store.
- Head into the store and work backwards by following our tips in Step 3.
- Begin at the part of the store that is the furthest away from the Produce section. This way, as you load your cart you’ll be adding heaviest items to the bottom, and lighter items like lettuce on top. Make sure to reserve a small section for dried goods after you’ve shopped the perimeter.
- Don’t forget to stick to your list! Vie makes this easy by sorting items by Department. Remember, everything you’ll need is on your shopping list, so just grab what you need and don’t get pulled in by suave marketing tactics, fun displays or whining kids (this is where the activities and snacks help the most!).
- When pulling items from the shelves, make sure to check the sell by dates, looking toward the back for the freshest items. Don’t be shy about asking a store employee for help or requesting that the butcher slice a cut of meat down for you.
- Even though you’re following your Vie list, make sure to comparison shop and take a look at White Label/generic brands. Checking the price by unit, pound or ounce will help you make the most out of your comparison shopping, and will eventually save you the most money!
- Grab your shopper’s card, scout out the check out lane that is least full (and also not filled with candy, if you can help it), and assign your kids the task of handing lighter-weight items to the cashier. Avoid the Self Checkout lanes. These will just make your job more difficult since Vie shopping lists rely heavily on produce, and who wants to look all that stuff up anyway?!?!
- Hand your items to the cashier by type of product (dairy and eggs together, meat together, produce together…you get the picture). Make sure to keep all refrigerated goods in one or two bags so that if you’re in a rush and need to run the groceries home quick, you’ll be able to prioritize the perishable items and get them where they need to go fast.
Remember, Vie makes grocery shopping easier, but at the end of the day our goal is to empower you to use a commonsense approach! Use your best judgement and happy shopping!!