Spring is here!
There’s nothing like a beautiful snow to welcome in Spring, right? Well, if you’re in our area that’s just what we got! Lucky for the kids schools were canceled and lucky for the grown ups the snow is melting quickly. We think it’s the perfect way to usher in Spring, and all of the March Madness that this month has to offer!
Today we’re highlighting a favorite Vie soup that gets very little attention (except for those holiday recipes that require a tinny can for casseroles and old hand-me-down recipes from Grandma). We’ll teach you how to make this delicious Cream of Celery soup from scratch in 10 minutes! After a 20 minute simmer, lunch/dinner is ready and waiting for you! Find this soup in our Wegmans Meal Plan this week.
SOUP Cream of Celery
Sometimes you just need a simple soup that offers a dose of comfort without being too rich or high in calories. This is one of those soups! The celery really offers a round, yet subtle, flavor and softens so much as it cooks that it lends a very velvety texture to the finished product.
1 bunch celery, trimmed and roughly chopped
8 cloves garlic, sliced
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour (or 1 cup rice)
1 quart veggie stock or water
2 cups whole milk
1/2-1 tsp salt and pepper, to taste
1 carrot, trimmed and small diced
- In a soup pot, cook celery, garlic, onion, and butter for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add flour (if using) and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often to break up any lumps and coat vegetables.
- Slowly add stock, stirring often to create a smooth, lump-free soup base.
- Once all stock has been added, add rice if using and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove half of soup and puree or blend the rest. Add the removed half back to the blended soup, add milk off heat and slowly heat up again, making sure not to bring soup to a boil (this will curdle the milk).
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed, then top with diced carrot to serve.