Now is the time for spring renewal.
We are getting our gardens ready, doing some de-cluttering and spring cleaning and maybe even setting intentions for this beautiful new season.
Sound like a dream? A little unattainable in this season of your life? Yeah, we get it.
Lofty goals often lead to failed plans. When we set the bar too high, it can be hard to accomplish everything on our to-do list without just completely giving up.
Founder, Lynsie, is a mom of six and understands this mentality! So, in the spirit of being kinder to ourselves and our bodies, let’s start small: with soup.
Not just any soup, this week we’re offering up Lynsie’s absolute favorite soup on the planet. It is detoxifying, allergen-friendly, and can be made in 20 minutes. We know because we just made it with four little boys running around!
We could also call this Cream of Mushroom, Potage de Champignons (fancy, eh?) or Wild Mushroom. But the concept is the same all around, and the ways in which this soup can be made are practically endless. Have a gluten allergy? Leave out the flour and sub in cornstarch, tapioca or arrowroot. Vegan? Leave out the butter and milk.
Whatever the case may be when it comes to what you can/like to eat, this soup fits the bill as a versatile and easy meal that will be kind to your gut and your mind.
Enjoy this time of spring renewal, stop making a to-do list and instead just be present in this very moment. Sip your warm soup slowly and enjoy the day as the gift that it is!
SOUP Creamy Mushroom
Yield 1 1/2 quarts
Use any mushrooms you like to add a huge depth of flavor to this simple, yet delicious, soup.
The best part is adding a sprinkling of fresh thyme to the soup before serving. The thyme adds a nice bright bite of flavor and also helps break up the smoothness of the soup, helping to make each spoonful new and adventurous.
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced in half
2 Tbsp olive oil or butter, unsalted *See Notes Section
1/2 cup flour, unbleached and all-purpose or equal parts gluten free thickener (cornstarch, tapioca or arrowroot)
1 1/2 quarts water or vegetable broth
1 pkg mushrooms, cleaned and left whole
2 sprigs thyme, left whole, plus a bit more for garnish
1 tsp salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups whole milk or cream, optional *See Notes
- In a large soup pot, cook olive oil or butter with onions and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add liquid, 1 cup at a time while stirring frequently to create a thickened paste.
- Add mushrooms, thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Turn soup off heat and transfer carefully to a blender. Puree until smooth, return to the soup pot and add salt and pepper to taste, plus milk or cream if using.
- Reheat if necessary and serve with a sprinkling of fresh thyme leaves and a side of crusty bread if desired.
Because this soup's ingredients can be adjusted so easily to suit all dietary needs, make sure to leave out the dairy if Vegan, sub in a gluten free thickening agent instead of flour, and know that leaving out the milk or cream at the end still makes for an incredible final product!