Do artichokes scare you…even just a little?
If your answer is YES, then you’re about to make us really happy because we love sharing what we know with you! Most importantly, we love empowering you to try new things and feel comfortable in the kitchen!
In today’s video tutorial we’ll show you how to quickly blanch and trim artichokes. Not only will we offer up ideas of how to eat artichokes in fun ways (that your kids will love) but we’ll also show you the step-by-step process of trimming away the outer leaves to reveal the beautiful heart inside.
Follow our easy recipe for blanching and trimming artichokes then BONUS we’ll offer up a delicious quick vinaigrette that will be perfect for dipping the leaves in and tossing with the hearts for a light early summer salad.
All About Artichokes
Learn how to work with these beautiful vegetables in fun, new ways that will help get you and your kids in the kitchen!
1 (or more) artichokes
1 large pot salted water
2 lemons, juiced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stick unsalted butter
pinch salt and pepper
1-2 Tbsp fresh herbs of your choice, chopped or minced
- Watch our video for the best visual tutorial!
- First, prep your artichokes by trimming the sharp points on each outer leaf with scissors.
- Bring your pot of salted water to a boil and add as many artichokes as you like.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until artichokes are a mellow-green color. They should be very tender when pierced with a knife.
- While artichokes are blanching, heat butter, garlic and lemon juice together until butter is melted. Add a pinch of salt or pepper. Add chopped herbs and mix to combine.
- Remove from water, cool slightly, then peel back the outer leaves (meat at the base of each leaf can be dipped in lemon-butter sauce and eaten by using teeth to pull away flesh from woody leaf).
- Once all of the outer leaves have been removed, use a paring knife to gently remove the "hair" on the choke part of the heart. (Again, see video!) Once you reach the super tender part of the heart, its just a matter of trimming it up nicely so that it's perfect for eating!
- Dip trimmed hearts in lemon-butter sauce and enjoy simply or toss many prepped hearts in warm sauce for a delicious salad.