MAIN Smoky Lobster Mac & Cheese
Yield 4-6 servings
Pairs well with a variety of cheeses (all of them really - delicate and nutty, strong and firm, pungent, and fresh, salty and sour cheeses). Pairs with fin fish, shellfish, white meat and cured meat.
We love Rose around here but sometimes it's important to pair it with a super simple dinner. But fret not, we added a nice helping of lobster to this "fancy" mac & cheese...so feed it to someone you love! It's filled with the good stuff.
2 lobster tails, cooked, meat removed and chopped
1 pkg regular or gluten-free elbow macaroni
1 yellow onion, grated or minced
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
½ cup flour or cornstarch
2 cups whole milk (or nut milk if vegan-choose unflavored and unsweetened)
2 cups lobster stock (reserved from cooking lobster tails)
1 pkg shredded cheddar cheese
1 pkg smoked gouda, grated (use about 1 cup)
1 tsp salt, divided
½ cup panko
- To cook lobster tails, defrost completely (if frozen) and place in a boiling pot of water. Cook until pink and flesh is firm. Remove cooked lobster from water, cool, remove meat and chop. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions minus 1 minute. Drain and pour into a baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet, cook onion with butter and half the olive oil over medium heat. Add the flour or cornstarch after 5 minutes and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add milk and lobster stock, little by little at first, making sure to whisk after each addition to prevent lumps and create a smooth sauce.
- Add cheese and whisk to combine and melt. Add salt, taste and adjust accordingly.
- Remove from heat and pour into the baking dish over pasta, mixing gently to combine.
- Add 2/3rd of cooked, chopped lobster and stir gently.
- In a small bowl, mix panko with the rest of the salt and oil. Sprinkle over top of mac and cheese in baking dish. Scatter the rest of the chopped lobster on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until further cooked and bubbling.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Vie at https://getvie.com/2019/02/06/flawless-valentines-day-menu/