MAIN Breakfast for Dinner Casserole
I made this dish this week because m kids have been begging for a Breakfast Dinner and I had some leftover sausage and potatoes to use up. The result was delicious: somewhere in between a quiche and a strata. It was fluffy, relatively straightforward and as comforting as comfort food gets!
1 pkg maple sausage links (chicken or pork), bacon or ground pork sausage
1 pkg frozen hash browns, cubed or 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups milk
1 pkg cheddar cheese, divided
1 tsp salt and pepper
1 red bell pepper, stem removed, seeded and chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped and divided
1 pkg biscuit dough, optional
- Brown sausage or bacon in a skillet until cooked through.
- Add hash browns and onions and continue to cook until slightly browned and softened. Don't worry about cooking all the way through since we'll be throwing this casserole into the oven to finish cooking.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, half of the cheese, salt, and pepper.
- TO the sausage/hash brown skillet, remove from heat and add the red bell pepper and half the green onions.
- Preheat oven to 375 F and oil a medium-large baking dish.
- Pour sausage/hash brown mixture into baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over top and distribute evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and green onions.
- Remove biscuits from pkg and separate discs.
- Add each disc to the top of the casserole, distributing evenly.
- Bake casserole for 25-35 minutes, or until eggs are set, mixture is bubbling and biscuits are browned.
Recipe by Vie at https://getvie.com/2020/03/23/home-bound-meal-plan/