MAIN Carnitas with Avocado Salad
Yield 4-6 servings
These crispy carnitas go so well with freshly mashed avocado! Enjoy with a squeeze of fresh lime and a dash of your favorite hot sauce.
1/3 pork roast, meat shredded
3 avocados, peeled, pitted and mashed
1 shallot, minced
2 limes, halved or cut into wedges
1 tsp salt, divided
1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed and chopped
- Preheat oven to low broil or 425 F.
- Line a baking sheet (or 2) with foil and add shredded meat, spreading out evenly so that carnitas will crisp up at the same time.
- Place in the oven to cook while you make your avocado mash.
- In a bowl, combine shallot, avocados, half the salt, 2 Tbsp lime juice (half a lime, squeezed) and set aside.
- Shred romaine and place on a platter.
- Remove pork from oven once crispy. This usually takes about 15 minutes, but check every 5 minutes so as to prevent burning.
- Once pork is removed, sprinkle with salt and allow to cool slightly.
- Add pork on top of romaine and then top pork with avocado mash.
- Garnish with extra lime and cilantro.
Recipe by Vie at https://getvie.com/hurricane-meal-plan/