Earth Day is a big deal and we want to ring in this celebration of Mother Nature in Vie style.
What better way to honor our planet than making delicious, earthy and cleansing Miso Soup?
We are including the recipe below with today’s live video. We’ll be making our own vegetable broth and to it we’ll add local mushrooms, organic miso paste, spring onion slivers and crumbled seaweed. We might even throw in a little sliced silken tofu, if we’re feeling adventurous!
We hope you enjoy & Happy early Earth Day to all of you! 🌎
SOUP Cleansing Miso Soup
Yield 1 quart
We love Miso Soup for its simplicity. Adding miso paste at the end helps to retain its nutritional value, so make sure to save it for the end. Garnish with any number of toppings, but we suggest sliced spring onions, crumbled seaweed and sliced tofu + mushrooms!
1 quart homemade vegetable broth
1-2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 pkg mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thinly (grab the mushrooms from Sharondale Farm if you can -- sold in most stores near Charlottesville)
1-2 stalks green onions, sliced
1 pkg dried seaweed, crumbled
1 block silken tofu, sliced thinly into squares
1-2 Tbsp miso paste (per bowl served)
toasted sesame oil, for garnish
- Make stock by adding any saved vegetable scraps to a pot fill with 1 quart of cold water with soy sauce
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain out vegetables and pour soup into individual bowls.
- Add onions and mushrooms and let sit for 5 minutes to cook slightly.
- Add miso paste, stir to combine and garnish with tofu, crumbled seaweed and tofu.
- Drizzle with toasted sesame oil and serve hot.