There’s nothing better than a warm bowl of comforting orecchiette pasta on a cold day.
This dish really takes simple pasta to the next level by adding rich flavors of mushrooms and mushroom broth. Serve up something delicious and healthy to the special people in your life and remember, even for picky eaters: this meal delivers!
If you follow us on Instagram, then you may have seen a sneak peek at this dish earlier this week. Lynsie wrote it into her Meal Plan for Whole Foods Market last week and it was a big hit! We’ve already heard from subscribers who have made it so if you have, let us know by commenting below or shooting us a message on our Facebook page.
MAIN Mushroom, Sausage & Kale Pasta
Yield 4-6 servings
Make this delicious Vegan & Vegetarian dish in no time (or add the optional sausage for more protein). The trick is to make the pasta at the same time that you sauté the mushrooms and make the mushroom broth. We break it all down for you here. Get started...
1 pkg brown rice*, gluten free pasta* or orecchiette pasta*, cooked *this can be omitted if paleo! The rest of the ingredients are great on their own as a brothy stew
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp olive oil
1 lb ground sausage, your choice
1 large pkg mushrooms, washed and sliced
2-4 cups mushroom broth or water
1 tsp each salt and pepper
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 pkg chopped kale
1 cup grated parmesan cheese, to garnish
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta* according to package instructions, lessening cook time by 1 minute. When pasta is done, drain (reserve 1 cup cooking water) and toss with a drizzle of olive oil to keep pasta from sticking.
- While pasta is cooking, sauté sausage*, onions and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms shrink and brown slightly.
- Add broth or water, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes* and bring sauce to a boil to reduce by half.
- Add pasta, mix, then add kale, remove from heat and place a lid on top to wilt kale for 5 minutes.
- To serve, toss pasta together once more with sauce and sprinkle Parmesan cheese* on top, if desired.
*'d ingredients indicate optional items, so work with what you can eat!
Adding sausage to this dish is awesome but not entirely necessary, so if you're a Vegetarian, leave it off.
Use extra kale if you're omitting the pasta.