We are all in the mood for celebrating Mom this week!
After working on our Strawberries & Cream Scones as well as launching our Gift Basket Giveaway (there’s still time to enter…click HERE) we’ve been brainstorming ways to give the gift of good food to Mom in a way that can include kid participation.
If you’re worried that little hands in the kitchen (or mixing bowl) might be tough, think again! Here’s a recipe for Mix & Match Quiches that you’ll love. Making the batter is easy (it’s a biscuit dough on the bottom with quiche -egg mixture- on top). Have as many add-on’s as you’d like and the kids can each put their own personal touch on these delightful little mini quiches.
Make ’em in advance and reheat them in the oven at 350 F for 15 minutes for a perfect Mother’s Day Brunch that pairs nicely with our Strawberries & Cream Scones and that cold brew coffee (or white wine) from our Gift Basket!
Mix & Match Quiches
Yield 20 mini quiches
Try these for Mother's Day or anytime! The best thing about these mini quiches is that they are part biscuit, part crepe, part quiche...all topped any way you like with a plethora of your favorite ingredients. We suggest the combos listed below=)
For the Biscuit Base
1/2 cup vegetable oil*
1/2 cup heavy cream*
1/2 tsp salt*
1 Tbsp baking powder*
2-3 cups flour*
For the Quiche Topper
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Suggested Add-On's (See our video for preparation tips!--coming at 2 pm)
Cooked Bacon Bits + Sauteed Mushrooms + Chopped Green Onions + Shredded Swiss Cheese
Sliced Cherry Tomatoes + Frozen Peas + Sliced Green Onions + Shredded Swiss Cheese
Chopped Frozen Broccoli + Shredded Cheddar Cheese + Chopped Red Onion
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350 F.
- Make the biscuit dough by whisking together wet ingredients + salt.
- Add baking powder and whisk to combine (there will be some lumps).
- Switch out your whisk for a spatula, and add 2 cups flour. Mix vigorously to combine, then add more flour as needed to create a semi-stiff dough that keeps its shape when rolled into a ball.
- Oil a muffin or popover tin, and add a small teaspoonful of biscuit dough to each mold.
- Lightly water your fingertips and push down dough to flatten.
- Using the same whisk, beat eggs for the quiche topper in a large bowl until yolks are broken and whites and yolks are combined.
- Add milk, salt and pepper and continue to mix.
- Pour mixture over biscuit dough base in your muffin tin, filling molds about halfway up.
- Next, add your toppers, using the guide below for suggested flavorings. *Make sure your molds aren't too full, as the eggs + biscuits will rise in the oven.
- To bake, place muffin or popover tin on a baking sheet (to catch any spillover) and place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until quiches are puffed and stiff when pushed.
- Remove, let rest 10 minutes, then use the back of a knife (the non sharp side) to loosen quiches from their molds and tip tin to invert.
- Arrange on a plate and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Please note that the *'d ingredients represent the same recipe for the Strawberries & Cream Scones, minus the sugar. So you can always make a double batch without the sugar, the divide and add the sugar for the scones to one half of the dough! Go on, make things easy for yourself!